Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day

I consider this Mother’s Day my first true Mother’s Day.  Last year on Mother’s Day morning, as I was holding Graham in the NICU, a peds gastro surgeon told me that his condition may be incompatible with life (especially untreated).  This was obviously a completely off the wall thing to say- seeing as how he didn’t have an official diagnosis at that point.  I was alone with Graham at that moment.  I could not sleep (I felt so guilty for sleeping in my own bed while my baby was hooked up to an IV, etc) so I got up early and went to the hospital.  I didn’t understand his rare unofficial diagnosis, and I was two days postpartum.  I was a mess.  I didn’t know a person was capable of producing that many tears. 

I’ve had so many people tell me “he had a bad start, but he is OK now”.  This is true!  I am grateful for his successful surgery everyday of his life.  I think remembering his traumatic entrance in this world from time to time (in a healthy “don’t feel sorry for us kind of way”) is a constant reminder to me that I am the luckiest mom in the world.

We were so lucky that terrible day to be supported by our parents who both extended their stays in East Lansing, and the following week in Ann Arbor.  Both my mom and Jonah’s mom spent their Mother’s Day by my side in my fragile condition.  I know now that is what a mom does- shares the burden of their child's sadness and pain at any given moment.  I learned how to do this from the best- my mom!

This picture is very dear to me.  It was taken last year on Mother’s Day.  I’d like to think that the love that Jonah and I shared with Graham that day played an integral part of his healing (and our healing as well!)  

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Danielle! I am so thankful that you get to spend this year playing with your boy. I hope the times of worrying about his health are in the past. You have been a great mama since day 1 with Graham. He is so lucky to have you! I understand first hand about how worried you felt as a mom during his first few days. But I am so glad he is healthy now! I hope that you are able to truly enjoy the day tomorrow. Thank you for sending me a Mother's Day card too! That was so nice of you. We are both so lucky to have our cute little boys :o)

    ReplyDelete