Friday, October 29, 2010

Little Reminder!


Question: When does the joy of finding out you are pregnant turn into anxiety?
Answer:  Apparently at 14 weeks.

This week it dawned on me that I am not prepared for this pregnancy.  Sure, I have been taking my prenatal vitamins, eating healthy (well, most of the time), and getting plenty of rest.  However, I find myself being asked, by seasoned moms, all of these questions that I am not prepared to answer.  Let me share an example:

What is your birth plan?
My response:  I don’t know, don’t I just push it out?

We haven’t a clue what to register for.  I don’t know what a bumbo is or why others insist that I will need one.  I haven’t put much thought into how to decorate the nursery.  Sure, it’s not like the baby is coming tomorrow, but a little thought and planning never hurt anyone right?

This all changes today!  Today I had a little reminder that I have someone else to start planning for.  Sure, I think about our growing baby everyday.  I pray for him/ her to continue to thrive.  I wonder what he/she will be like.  Will our baby be more introverted like me?  Will our baby laugh as loudly and often as Jonah?  I hope so. 

My “little reminder” came in the form of baby’s first movement- a beautiful internal fluttering feeling that has lasted now for 12 hours.  I think the baby is trying to tell me to start planning for him/her.  Point taken little baby!


5 comments:

  1. Congrats Danielle! I so miss that feeling! Theres nothing like it in the world.

    So, 2 kids later and I will let you in on my little secret...I never had a birth plan (I did what the doc told me to do and it worked out great!) and I forgot all about the nursery. Then again, we moved across the country when I was almost 8 months pregnant so that might explain it. I figured the kid would be in my room at first anyway and he really didn't care since he was a) barely able to see for the first 3 months and b) a boy(: Cole is now 5 and doesn't seem any worse for it....in fact, he's a full grade ahead so we must have done something right! LOL It will all fall into place so don't worry...just sit back and enjoy it all...especially getting fat 'for a good reason'(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing feeling D! So glad you've gotten to feel it this early. I'll write you an email with some baby item ideas and a book recommendation that super helped me out - sort of like a Consumer Reports just for baby items. Happy planning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda and Nic for your insights! Nic- that book recommendation would really help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/30/2010

    Hey Danielle,
    Keep it simple because you are going to need all of your energy, when the baby comes. Women have been having babies since the beginning of time w/o a birth plan...whatever that means. :) Enjoy the eating, resting & waiting phase of motherhood, cause after the birth you'll be at this for the rest of your life, don't forget the eventual grandchildren. Your baby is blessed to have you. You & Jonah were especially picked to bring this life into the world. ~~~Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right - a little planning never hurt anything...but I agree that everything WILL fall into place! And remember, much of parenting is a learn-as-you-go process. You guys will figure it out. I wouldn't worry about anything at all, except giving that baby all of your love, which I can see you are doing!

    ReplyDelete